[Mgs] no oil pressure

don don at napanet.net
Wed Dec 2 15:12:02 MST 2009

My '62 MGA has been sitting for way too long.  I put new Interstate
6V batteries in it, as the old ones were goners.  I removed
sparkplugs, and did some tinkering to get the starter switch working
again.  So, engine spins, but no oil pressure.  I have had this
happen before when the car sat a long time.  I primed the oil system
before, but I can't remember the best way to do it.  Unlike most
MGAs, the Mk IIs have large rubber flexible hoses that go to an oil
cooler (similar to an MGB setup).  Anybody out there know best way to
get oil into the oil pump?

Also, in my stash of parts I find several sets of NOS NGK BP6ES
plugs.  I know these fit MGBS, but are they suitable for MGA as well?

I hope to get it roadworthy again in hopes of trading it towrds/for a
nice (better than "driver") early steel-dash MGB roadster.  My MGA is
what you would call a "driver", but it is unusual in its being never
hit or rusted, nor suffered shoddy body repairs.

Don Scott
Calistoga CA
2001 Miata SE BRG
1973 MGB GT