[Mgs] Replacing Brake pads on an MGA

Richard Ewald richard.ewald at gmail.com
Thu Aug 27 22:14:01 MDT 2009

The tool shown is for a sliding caliper.  It will not work on a fixed
caliper which is what MGs have.
It really isn't that hard.
Check the level in the master, remove fluid as needed.
Jack up car, and place jack stands underneath.
Remove the wheel
Remove the hair pins and the two large pins from the caliper
take a pair of medium sized channel lock pliers grab the top of the pad
backing plate, and the edge of the caliper.  Squeeze the pliers to gain some
clearance between the pad and rotor.
Take a large screwdriver and place the blade between the pad and the rotor.
Pry the pad back forcing the piston into the bore.  Depending on the size
channel locks you have you might be able to do this with just the pliers,
but a big screwdriver works great.  You need the piston all the way back in
the bore.
Take a small wire brush and clean the bottom and top of the caliper where
the pad backing plate rides.  spray the area clean with brake clean.  since
there is an excellent chance that there may be some asbestos int he dust,
wear a mask, and I suggest gloves.
Check the rubber boot around the piston for tears, cracks or fluid leakage.
if you find any of these, time for a caliper rebuild or replacement.
Assuming all is OK, insert the pad on that side of the caliper.
repeat with the other pad on that caliper
Slide the big pins back in and replace the small hair pins.
Check the fluid level in the master remove fluid as necessary
Repeat on the other side
When you are all done, it is not a bad idea to flush the brake fluid, so you
might want to do that also.
Rick