[Mgs] tappet cover leaks

Paul Root ptrmgb at gmail.com
Sat Aug 15 20:05:01 MDT 2009

Well, I worked on the car today. Got everything out easily enough.
Even painted the tappet side of the engine with some engine paint I
had lying around. Black. I have no idea where it came from.

Unfortunately, I snapped a manifold stud.  A couple of the others
looked stretched and bad as well. Went to 3 auto parts stores and Ace
hardware. Ace was closest to having what I needed, followed by
Autozone. So I'm off to Quality Coaches on Monday. Meanwhile the car
sits.

Oh, the silicon gaskets didn't fit the rear cover at all. The car had
silicon ones, and you could see were it was leaking.

I managed to do some other work on it today as well.

	Greased the front end.
	Installed the headlight relays I bought last year. Nice easy kit.
Even uses the right color wires. I got 4 relays (highs, lows, horn,
and an extra, that I think I'll hook my fan up to).
	replaced the bushes of the transmission stay rod. These had rotted
away to nothing.
	put in new carpet in the package tray. Just the cheap stuff I bought
to replace the torn up sills carpet last year. It's just there for the
mat I got from Vicky Brit to hold on to.

	I noticed that I need an alignment badly. Outsides are bad.
	Oh, I also had lost three nuts between the exhaust manifold and
exhaust pipe. Opps.

Ok, gotta get out the Moss catalog and figure out what parts I need.

Other than the car is not drivable until at least Tuesday/Wednesday.
It was a good day in the garage.

Ok, Ed. If you can have parts to me Wednesday, I'll buy from you. Save
me the trip to South Minneapolis.  Ok, up to figure parts. Mostly studs.

Paul.