[Mgs] positive ground

Paul Hunt paul.hunt1 at blueyonder.co.uk
Mon Apr 20 08:26:45 MDT 2009

Only the later MGB fuel pumps were polarity conscious, but just like such
pumps - diode quenched points and pointless - can be retro-fitted to earlier
MGB then I'm guessing they could be fitted to earlier MGs with similar pumps
as well.  Waiting until you have started the engine to see what polarity it
outputs would be too late for a pointless pump, but shouldn't hurt a
diode-quenched pump.  If you know it is a points pump then disconnect the
harness from the dynamo, link the F and D terminals, start then engine and see
what polarity it generates.  But have a voltmeter between the output terminal
and ground from the outset and don't rev the engine so that it outputs more
than 20v.

  I would check the generator with a voltmeter so see which way it is
  charging.