[Mgs] starter relay

The Roxter rocknatural at gmail.com
Tue Oct 14 12:25:37 MDT 2008

Tuck Southworth wrote:
> All,
> can someone tell me just exactly what the starter relay does.  And how can I
> tell if its not working.
> My 70 B will not start despite a new battery, a rebuilt starter and solenoid.
> All I get when I turn
> the key is a clicking noise which before I replaced it I would have guessed
> was a bad solenoid.
> I've checked all the wires and connections so I'm thinking it's the relay.
Sounds to me like oxidized battery connections. Lead oxide looks just like lead, but it's an insulator rather than a conductor. Remove both battery cables and scrape the inside of the clamps and the outside of the terminals with a sharp knife, then replace and tighten the clamps.

What's happening here is that there's enough current to operate the solenoid, but not enough to operate the starter, so the solenoid chatters.

-The Roxter