[Mgs] rear axle

Paul Hunt paul.hunt1 at blueyonder.co.uk
Thu Oct 2 01:42:21 MDT 2008

Keep turning the diff cage while you are tapping the pin to see how much
clearance you have left and that should stop you going too far.  In my case
the pin moved relatively easily to start with then got stiffer and stiffer, to
the point that when I did rotate the cage to allow me to pull the pin the rest
of the way I simply could not shift it with the grips I had available.  The
axle was off the car, so I didn't have the benefit of the weight of the car
holding the casing steady while I pulled at it, but even so I doubt I would
have got it out. I pulled the other axle shaft then undid the cage bearing
retainers and lifted the whole diff out, which incidentally is what you would
have to do if you *did* push the pin too far.  The Workshop Manual talks about
a case stretcher being required, and it may well do with new bearings (removal
or replacement), but in practice it seems that the wear on a typical used axle
that needs the clunk repair renders it unnecessary.

And loosely refitting the hub and whacking the back of it with a mallet or
soft-faced hammer will pull the half-shaft.

     Instructions tell you to avoid pushing the pinion pin in too far, but
  they don't say how far is too far.