[Mgs] head question

Malcolm Jeffcock msjeffcock at eastlink.ca
Fri Nov 14 19:23:17 MST 2008

I have a crack in my head but took a head off another engine I have. My engine is a high comp engine. The head I took off was damaged between #1 and #2 and that's where its cracked. The head from the "donor engine" a 3 bearing older engine has a marking on the under side sort where the thermostat bulge is located. It has an "S" in a raised letter in the same fashion as the MOWOG lettering. I have never noticed an "S" in this location on any other head. As well the head material between #1 and #2 on the head is much thicker than on the other head. I have the "donor" at the shop to be tested for cracks or I could post a photo...
Any ideas as to what the significance of the "S" might be or why there is a difference in the thickness?

Malcolm