[Mgs] Attitude adjustment and GT-33 tech session

Barney Gaylord barneymg at mgaguru.com
Tue May 20 12:21:20 MDT 2008

For the latest installment of MGA body sill replacement (and body
restoration), see here: http://mgaguru.com/mgtech/restore/rt628.htm
The short of it is the body is in smooth primer, about to turn red
again in the next few days.  The pace of progress is quickening,
planned to be back on the road within 4 weeks (6 weeks max).  It has
to be, because it has a driving appointment.

A week ago I committed to getting the car to the NAMGAR GT-33 in
western Pennsylvania in early July.  I was then promptly drafted to
present a tech session at the GT.  It may be about two hours covering
a wide variety of items on "Driveability".  This will be heavily
loaded toward reliability issues, so you can go anywhere any time and
drive your MG with reckless abandon, fully confident that it will
always get where it's going without problems.  A few items on the
agenda will be electrical connectors, ignition system, fuel system,
cooling system, wire wheels and hub splines, periodic maintenance,
and what tools or spare parts to carry for a road trip.  For safety
and performance I will touch on tires and suspension tweaks, mild
engine mods, seat belts, roll bar, power cut-off, and how to avoid
being run over.  I will also cover some useful accessories, minor
modifications and creature comforts, like trailer hitch, luggage
rack, navigator's desk, gear ratio changes, cup holders (perish the
thought), auxiliary lighting, relays, fuses, alternator, change of
batteries and polarity, and installation of some electronic
devices.  We will likely run out of time before I run out of subject
material, but there will be time for some Q&A during and after the
tech session (and throughout the week whenever you can catch me).

I am not going to stir up "who's going to the GT?" again.  This is
just to confirm that I will be there and will be happy to meet and
greet and chat with anyone who happens to show up.  I will also be
arriving two days early to partake of the Twin Cam Golden Jubilee
activities.  At this time I do not intend to stay the following
weekend for the vintage races (maybe).  Side trips after the event
are currently open to suggestion.  As usual, I hope to meet as many
MG enthusiasts at possible.

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA with an attitude
http://MGAguru.com