[Mgs] "High rev'ing" MGA carb

Robert J. Guinness guinness at stclegal.com
Tue May 13 07:34:49 MDT 2008

After rebuilding the cylinder head and carbs on my 1961 MGA (with 1800
MGB 3 main engine and original MGA carbs), the engine fired right up . .
.  to 3000 RPM!  It appears that the rear carb is causing the high
revs.  If I block about 80% of the rear carb's air inlet, it calms down
to around 1500 .  The front carb is behaving appropriately.  I assume I
have issues with the jet because the adjusting nut will not tighten.
Here are my questions for the group's wisdom.  What is/are the likely
cause(s)?  Can I fix the carb without removing it (man is space tight
around there  --  but I hate dealing with the carb stud nuts, vacuum
tube, spring holder, etc.)?  Can I just remove the rear carb?  Any
helpful techniques or procedures to deal with these issues?  Please note
that when I use the word "can", I really mean "should I do it as part of
"best practices".

Thanks.
--
Robert Guinness