[Mgs] MGB tie down

Dodd, Kelvin doddk at mossmotors.com
Thu May 8 11:18:30 MDT 2008

Douglas:

This is my recommendation: FWIW

Using nylon axle straps is the best way to protect the car and the
ratchet straps.

On the front, pass the axle strap up through the gap between the a-arm
pan and the pivot bracket.

At the back, I pass the axle strap over the rear spring, in front of the
axle. This is well away from the brake lines which run across the back
of the axle at that point. My race car has rear tube shocks, so I don't
have to be too careful. With lever shocks, make sure that you pass the
strap between the axle and the link so you pull on the axle, not on the
shock link.

In my trailer, I don't cross the ratchet straps because the tie downs
are at the outer corners of the trailer. If the tie down points are
closer it's a good idea to cross strap as it locates the car better. Use
common sense, keeping the straps as short as feasible reduces the amount
of stretch.

Make sure you leave the car in neutral, so when the car moves the gears
are not damaged.

Don't let anyone help you strap the car down. Do it yourself and you
will be sure it's done correctly.

Kelvin