[Mgs] No LBC, Les Paul

David Breneman david_breneman at yahoo.com
Mon May 5 18:26:09 MDT 2008

--- The Roxter <rocknatural at gmail.com> wrote:

> The story I have been hearing almost all my life was that he was
> involved in a serious auto accident and was in the hospital here in
> Tulsa when he invented multitrack in his head. I always heard he
> had the first one built by the guys at Ampex, but the idea was his.

Well Les Paul may have thought that a multitrack deck would be
a cool thing, but it was Ross Snyder and Mort Fuji at Ampex
that actually invented it.  I suppose Les was the "mother of
invention" having the need.  But unlike other customized tape
decks he *did* engineer and make on his own, all he was in this
case was a customer.  Sel-Sync is more than just multiple
heads on a wider tape.  There was a lot of novel engineering
involved.

David Breneman         david_breneman at yahoo.com