[Mgs] MG practicality

Norm 2Bs twobees at sprynet.com
Fri Jun 27 13:08:40 MDT 2008

Paul Hunt says, "I love MGs but they are totally impractical! I do drive a
Miata and a Honda."

Paul, I' must strongly disagree - unless you live in an area that requires
a/c 6-months a year & has awful drivers & awful roads like here in Florida.

Before moving south, I lived in Connecticut within commuting distance of
Manhattan.  From 1992 to 1997 my year-round daily driver was a 1980 MGB.  It
was fine except on the highway as it didn't have overdrive.  So, I basically
used it within Connecticut and avoided highways when possible.

In 1997, I bought a 1966 B.  That too was my year-round daily driver,
averaging about 7,500 miles a year.  Once it was modified for vintage
racing, including o.d., it became a real joy to drive, even on long distance
business trips to central Pennsylvania & Upper New England.  Yes, I love
power under my right foot.  That car got me though rush hour traffic on I-95
many times.  It had a "heavy duty" MG clutch, not a real h.d. racing clutch.
So, it was no big deal in stop & go traffic.  And, the idle was 2,000 so it
didn't stall easily.  Great fun.  Great sound.  And conveniences like
electric antenna, good power stereo, enhanced heater for the winter, factory
hardtop, late model seats, the safety of a roll bar and lots of grins while
driving.

During some of those years,my daughter had a Miata.  Cute.  And, great a/c.
But, on the highway - annoying.  Mazda engineers duplicated the airflow over
the windshield of the Lotus Elan.  Gets me right in the forehead.  The vent
windows don't open like the MGB's & the shoulder belts flap against my
shoulder with the top down.  Eventually, she sold the Miata & bought a Saab.
I kept the MGB & drove it constantly & raced it a few times a year until I
moved here.

BTW, it was totally reliable.  Even the 1980 B was more reliable than the
bought-new Toyota Camry.  That thing was the least reliable, most boring car
we ever owned.  Even my non-racing wife got tired of how boring it was.  She
also got tired of how often it left her stranded when the engine died or it
snowed (One of the worst cars in the snow I ever drove.)  She now drives a
sedan with sportiness - a BMW, or my tow vehicle - a BMW X3.  Just can't get
her interested in learning to shift so she can drive the Giulietta Spider or
race the Turner.

Cheers.

Norm

Nomex on.