[Mgs] ring gear removal

Barney Gaylord barneymg at mgaguru.com
Fri Jun 27 11:24:51 MDT 2008

At 07:37 AM 6/27/2008 -0400, dave at camptownshakers.com wrote:
>.... I don't have a oxy/acetylene outfit

You do not need heat to remove a ring gear.

>so I've cut through as far as I can with a hacksaw (the shoulder of
>the flywheel prevents cutting all the way through).

So far so good.

>Dozens of mightly wacks on a big chisel with a mallet didn't seem to
>do much though. I was standing the flywheel on edge, on a piece of
>wood and hitting down. Maybe the wood was absobing too much of the
>force. Should I have placed the flywheel flat side (engine side)down
>and tired to split it that way? ....

Forget the mallet and wood block. Those only serve to absorb the
shock.  Use a cold chisel and a two pound steel hammer.  Cut the ring
gear about half way through with a hacksaw between teeth (as you
already did).  Place the chisel tip in the cut, tilt it slightly in
the direction of one of the gear teeth, and give it a good whack with
the heavy steel hammer.  It makes no difference what the flywheel is
sitting on, it could even be suspended in air or sitting on your lap
(careful what you hit), as the mass of the flywheel acts like an
anvil.  The ring gear will break without too much effort using the
heavy steel hammer.

A few articles on ring gear replacement tech:
http://mgaguru.com/mgtech/clutch/ft_101.htm
http://mgaguru.com/mgtech/clutch/ft_101a.htm
http://mgaguru.com/mgtech/clutch/ft_101b.htm

Barney Gaylord