[Mgs] ring gear removal

dave at camptownshakers.com dave at camptownshakers.com
Fri Jun 27 05:37:14 MDT 2008

Supposed to be fairly straight forward, the shop manual and various notes
on the internet say pretty much the same thing. I don't have a
oxy/acetylene outfit so I've cut through as far as I can with a hacksaw
(the shoulder of the flywheel prevents cutting all the way through).
Dozens of mightly wacks on a big chisel with a mallet didn't seem to do
much though. I was standing the flywheel on edge, on a piece of wood and
hitting down. Maybe the wood was absobing too much of the force. Should I
have placed the flywheel flat side (engine side)down and tired to split it
that way? I've never had much luck with chisels.

Dave
'66 MGB