[Mgs] Run the MG on methane

Richard Gosling rbgosling at googlemail.com
Fri Jun 20 02:10:55 MDT 2008

"...Excluding the conversion cost, what's the cost per mile for LPG?  Or,
how does LPG compare to gasoline in cost (1/2, 3/4, etc.) ?  Also, what size
tank is required to give the equivalent miles as
your original gas tank ?..."

I believe for most cars the mpg with LPG is a bit worse than with
petrol/gasoline - around 80%.  I reckon I get about 23mpg (imperial gallons,
not your smaller US ones!) on LPG in my Subaru Legacy, on about 50% town
driving 50% highway, not sure what my petrol mileage is as I never travel
far enough on petrol to measure it.

In the UK, LPG is usually around half the price of petrol (currently 55.9p
per litre versus 120.9p for petrol at my local garage, so just under half),
largely because of the much reduced tax on LPG - about 75%-80% of the cost
of petrol and diesel is tax.  It also doesn't seem to be affected as much by
the rapidly rising prices of other oil products.

On this basis the cost is similar to running a car on petrol at 45-50mpg -
not bad for a four-wheel-drive big estate car!

Richard & Sammy