[Mgs] Propane smell

Bob Howard mgbob at juno.com
Thu Jun 19 13:43:00 MDT 2008

  That is a problem with propane on boats. It's heavier than air so may
settle into the bilge. A spark from starter or generator can make an
exciting yachting event.   Most powerboats have a place where the tank
can be stored so that it vents overboard, and now that many sailboats
have cockpits open to the stern, the tanks can be placed in the cockpit.
For those who want to use propane but lack a good place for the tank to
vent leaked gas overboard, there is a compartment that looks like a small
version of the in-ground trashcans or Doggie Doolies. It has a vent tube
to outside the hull, and a vented top for the tank to be
installed/removed.
  An alternative that never caught on big, on the east coast at least,
was CNG, Compressed Natural Gas.  It is lighter than air.
  Either is easier to use than the time-honored in USA alcohol stove that
burned a lot of fuel to make little heat and produced eye-stinging vapors
in a closed cabin, or the paraffin stove used in the UK and Europe.  The
paraffin stove made great heat, and smell, but spilled flaming paraffin
could not be extinguished with water.
Bob