[Mgs] repairing aluminum bonnet

Mike Duvall duvallcom at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jun 12 10:02:47 MDT 2008

I have successfully repaired a crack in mine and never had problem
with the aluminum panel.

If you have some type of crack or hole, you need to melt aluminum
into it.  You don't need a great weld just a filler of the same
material.

prepare all your panels with a mild acid etch such as R-M 801 metal
conditioner or Eastwoods Fast Etch. 801 come in quarts and you can
likely buy locally.

You should never apply materials over aluminum without having zinc
chromate primer as a base.  It will adhere to aluminum and stop the
corrosion.
R-M makes a chromated epoxy primer ( http://superiorpaints.com/rmtech/
DE49-1.htm)

Preparation is the key with any paint job!

Mike