[Mgs] [MG-MGB] Cleaning the Trans, Replacing Engine Mounts

Paul Hunt paul.hunt1 at blueyonder.co.uk
Mon Jun 9 02:43:06 MDT 2008

I wouldn't worry about the switches or getting stuff inside the case as long
as all the bits are in place, they get worse than that on the road.  In fact
removing the switches would make it more likely to get stuff inside.

For a rubber bumper the steering shaft goes through the drivers side chassis
bracket so is an issue, it's not like that on chrome bumper.  I've changed the
engine mounts (round type) on my V8 with the rack in-situ by using a thin
spanner to loosen the nut half a flat at a time, then undo the engine side and
spin the mount off the remainder of the way.  Putting it back means sticking
or wedging the nut and washer to said spanner, offering them up, then
carefully screwing the mount into them, before attaching the other side of the
mount to the engine, and tightening the nut half a flat at a time again.

Since then I've had the rack off more times than I care to remember for other
reasons, it's no big deal, I'd probably do it that way in future (like this
afternoon when getting an engine out for a clutch change).  If you don't have
a scissors-type taper cracker to part the track-rod ends from the steering
arms then simply remove the steering arms from the hub assemblies, it's much
easier than mucking about with other methods of cracking the tapers.  Both my
cars have a notch in the top of the rack shaft so out can only fit with the UJ
one way.  The column shaft has a groove all the way round, if you leave the UJ
attached to the column shaft it is easy to get the same steering wheel
alignment back again (or 360 degrees out ho ho).  What you must be careful
about is to note any and all shims between the rack and the cross-member
brackets and put them back exactly as you found them, or the rack shaft to
steering column won't be the same as before.  Hopefully it was correct before,
if they are misaligned you can get rapid wear of the UJ and pinion bearing,
and even component breakage.

  1) Degreasing the transmission -

  2) Engiune mounts -
  .