[Mgs] VOLT METER Pt1

Paul Hunt paul.hunt1 at blueyonder.co.uk
Wed Jun 4 08:38:55 MDT 2008

A complete circuit *is* a drain, and that is why I specifically mentioned
alarms, audio and clock as things that could give it.  You need to disconnect
those to see if anything *else* is giving a drain, which it shouldn't,
although where a clock moves in steps you can probably leave that as it only
take a very small pulse which still allows you to see anything else.  Using an
ammeter can be dangerous, it represents a near dead short, and if you have a
large drain will generate a spark when you connect and disconnect it.  If
working near the batteries it could ignite battery gasses.  If the meter isn't
protected it could also be damaged itself.  Neither of these can happen using
the meter on its 12v scale.  Using a test-lamp is a simple go/no go test,
personally if I'm looking for a drain I want to find any and all of them, not
just big ones.  But each to their own, if people know more than one way to
skin a cat, they can do which suits them best, without insulting others.

PaulH.
40 years working on auto electrics, 50+ years on low voltage electrics, not
that that means anything.