[Mgs] bronze valve guides

Peter Ryner pryner at verizon.net
Tue Jul 8 06:05:33 MDT 2008

I just received the head for my early MGB engine back from the machine shop.
He installed new hardened valve seats and bronze valve guides.  I'm a little
concerned about the clearances of the valves and guides.  I can put the
valves in and move them up and down, but some take more force than I would
expect.  On my past engines if I have the head on its side and install the
valves, when I place the head down, the valves will fall with no help from
me.  With this head, the valves do not move and I have to push them down by
hand before they will move.

Is this common with the bronze guides or do I have a clearance issue?
Thanks
Pete