[Mgs] [MG-MGB] LH Engine Mount

Paul Hunt paul.hunt1 at blueyonder.co.uk
Tue Jul 8 05:29:10 MDT 2008

Yes, but then you need the scissors taper cracker
(http://www.mgb-stuff.org.uk/images/bjs1.jpg) to get the pin out of the arm.
There are other tools said to be suitable but they either don't work or end-up
damaging the track-rod end.  Just undo the two bolts securing the steering arm
to the swivel axle and you will be fine.  Oddly these don't have lock-tabs,
torque to 60-65 ft lb.

If the rack shaft has a notch for the U-bolt clamp bolt instead of a groove
all the way round it will only go back together in one position anyway, just
count the splines that are cut into by the notch and make sure there are the
same number either side of the slot in the U-joint.  The column shaft by
contrast has a groove all the way round, so you should leave this alone and
only undo the rack side, that way you are sure of getting the steering wheel
aligned as it was before.

  Ok, so I don't have a 'scissors taper cracker' (or at least I'm pretty sure
I don't)..... Are these the nuts to remove on the steering arm end?

  .