[Mgs] Leeaking Rear Axle Seals

wtsnyder at bellsouth.net wtsnyder at bellsouth.net
Sun Jul 6 18:53:00 MDT 2008

Hello list. On my last outing with my '53 TD stopping the car became quite
an adventure involving standing on the brakes as hard as I could and
crossing my fingers that she would stop in time. My first thought was
leaking rear wheel cylinders which I recently rebuilt, but on closer
inspection, I found that gear oil was the culprit, leaking from the bottom
of the rear axle seals. It is worse on the left, but also present on the
passenger side (right). This leads me to believe that I did something wrong
during my resto in replacing these seals. There is a picture in the MG shop
manual of proper placement of the seal, but little description of how it is
to be seated. The photo also leaves a lot to be desired in clarity.

Can one of you long-time T guys help me out with an explanation of how to
properly remove and refit these seals? Also can you comment on how to clean
the brake pads, if that is possible?

I hate to have the car off the road when the weather here in the western
North Carolina mountains is so perfect for TD cruising, but to me being able
to stop is almost more important than being able to go! That is especially
true when returning the TD down my steep basement drive to the garage. I
don't want to damage the car OR the house!

Thanks in advance.

Bill Snyder

Waynesville, NC

'53 TD