[Mgs] Stoked.. err stroked!

Eric Erickson eric at erickson.on.net
Thu Jul 3 10:19:43 MDT 2008

Paul Hunt wrote:

> Engineering beats simple displacement every time.  *Engineered*
> displacement - now that's a different matter.
>
> After having driven a number of supercars and an F1 I came to the
> conclusion long ago that there is never enough power, what blows
> your socks off at first go you start getting used to, then you wish
> it had just a little bit more.  So I stick with my cars just as
> they are.  But don't let that stop you :o)

<sigh>

You guys!!!! - all I need is an "extra few seconds per lap"!

There are three magic "milestones" at our track.

1:40.00 - which I did after the first engine re-build (flat tops/high
compression).  All the purists say this is impossible for a "non-
modified" MGB so that got me more closely scrutinised and bumped up a
class.

1:30.00 - which I almost did after suspension work  and limited slip
diff (1:31.07) - frustratingly close.

After almost ten years of competing in the same car my times have
come down from 1:47.00 to 1:31.07

BUT the "real" competitors are in the 1:20's (a rare place for a
normally aspirated 4 cylinder MGB on road tyres - and not
significantly lightened... i.e. not a "race" car).  And I am soooo
close but in two years I cannot get there as I am.

Hence the 1950cc overbore.

Oh yeah - the next milestone?  1:20.00 - V8's, turbo's, slick tyres,
race cars.  Maybe one day before i die  :-)

Bill wrote:

>  Better to build a 1950 cc engine and spend any additional
> money on head work (modification or replacement) IMHO.

My "new" head has been "gas-flowed" to 160HP by the previous owner
that was running 2 litre and home-made fuel injection.  Look at the
above figures... he was doing 1:28.00 or better.

Why isn't he using this head now?  Yep, he has gone V8... as a wise
man once said - "you just wish it had a little more".

You know I just want encouragement, don't you?  I turn fifty in a
year and a half... I have a milestone or two to meet before then!

All comments/advice noted.  I will let you know what I come up with.

Thanks

Eric
'68 MGB MkII
Adelaide, South Australia