[Mgs] Stoked.. err stroked!

WSpohn4 at aol.com WSpohn4 at aol.com
Thu Jul 3 09:52:49 MDT 2008

Eric, if you ever want to run your car in the manner you have been, this is
not the crank for you.

Have you ever driven a Triumph with the old wet liner 2 litre engine? It
redlines at 5000 which can be pushed to 6000 with some tuning.  That is  what you
would be getting yourself in for, and engine that does have more  torque, but
was limited to 6000 rpm.

If you are OK with that, by all means go for it. If you eventually want to
develop more power, that means running more cam and a higher rpm limit than the
 stroker crank will allow.  The 1950 cc engines last very well - I've been
using one for the last 28 years!  But don't bother with the Lotus pistons,  if
you are going to do it, do it right and buy flat top pistons in the correct
size. They are available as special order from a number of sources.

As the article you cited on the MG Owners Club site indicated, breathing
becomes an issue with larger displacement and the MSX heads aren't all the
sellers make them out to be (there should be an article forthcoming on this in  the
fall) and require substantial modification to flow well.  You could try  and
find one of the old HRG competition series heads, but they are as common as
chicken teeth.  Better to build a 1950 cc engine and spend any additional
money on head work (modification or replacement) IMHO.

Bill

In a message dated 7/3/2008 8:30:04 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,