[Mgs] OD Query

Dodd, Kelvin doddk at mossmotors.com
Wed Jan 30 15:46:42 MST 2008

Bill:

The tunnel did get the heck modified out of it, but so did the diff.
area when they went to the Salisbury rear axle assembly. Both got a bit
of overkill, because it is always a good idea to leave more clearance
than you may find to be necessary. Changing shell tooling is expensive!

The tunnel was also modified to accept the automatic transmission, which
is a bit wider than the 4 synch. trans. I don't think the V8 had
anything to do with the tunnel mods, as although Rover had them in '68,
there was no connection between the companies till the Leyland merger.

Typically a wide range of power trains were considered when designing
the chassis. I think I read somewhere that the B was initially designed
to accept a V4 power plant. Shades of SAAB Sonnet II. The heavier 4
synch. trans. and Salisbury diff. did come out about the same time as
the MGC was in development, so chances are that program got us a lot
more heavy duty bits than we give credit to. Certainly both assemblies
took the MGB from being a nice but slightly fragile car to being bullet
proof.

The V8 install used the regular MGB/C 4 synch. trans, so no further mods
were necessary, till us spurious yahoos got in there with our Rover LT77
5 speeds.

Kelvin.