[Mgs] Overdrive Numbers

Aaron Whiteman awhitema at panix.com
Tue Jan 15 18:07:53 MST 2008

On Jan 15, 2008, at 4:51 PM, Murray Arundell wrote:

> I'm sorry Aaron but those statements are rediculous and yiur views
> are at odds with every motor engineer currently practising. Except
> it seems John Twist and as such I would have therefore suspect his
> opinions on anything.

I'm sorry, but perhaps you didn't learn the definition of 'anecdotal'.

Anecdotal (adjective): (of an account) not necessarily true or
reliable, because based on personal accounts rather than facts or
research.

So, before you attack my statements as ridiculous, consider what I
wrote.  My *anecdotal* experience is that the overdrive does nothing
to improve gas mileage, but does significantly improve the
enjoyability of driving at high speeds for long distances.  In fact,
my overdrive-equipped MG gets *worse* mileage when compared to a non-
OD equipped car with the same driver (as I wrote previously, I
suspect other factors are involved).  As a second *anecdotal* note,
when my OD was inoperative, my mileage on a 180 mile trip from
Ellensburg to Pullman was still right within the range I normally get
(26-30).  I noted it only in that there was no change to note.

Your mileage may vary.  Mine didn't.

--
Aaron Whiteman -- http://www.panix.com/~awhitema/MG/
'75 B (red for now), HIF4 carbs and overdrive