[Mgs] MGB valve cover/crankcase venting

Paul Hunt paul.hunt1 at blueyonder.co.uk
Sun Jan 13 07:50:56 MST 2008

Hi Rick - I did wonder after posting if you meant PCV rather than gulp
valve.  The problem with the PCV valve is that they *do* fail, but usually
the problem is noticed more as high oil consumption being sucked through the
valve due to the much higher vacuum in the crankcase.  The restriction on
the air inlet (filtered and restricted oil filler cap on non-emissions cars,
restricted port on the rear of the rocker cover on emissions cars) will
limit how much the faulty valve can weaken the mixture.

Without a form of suction on the crankcase it won't be *through* ventilated,
and that is what can result in internal condensation and corrosion, as well
as fumes getting into the cabin.  But sealing off just the suction port
won't result in crankcase pressurisation to the point of blowing seals as is
occasionally mentioned because the crankcase has originally *two* paths to
the outside world - the filtered and restricted inlet as well as the suction
port.  Sealing just the suction port will allow normal crankcase pressure
changes to be vented to the outside world perfectly safely, via the inlet as
long as that is left open.  Seal both at your peril, though.

IMHO it is far better to have a PCV, and check it from time to time by
monitoring the vacuum at the oil filler orifice, than do away with the PCV
on the basis that it may, at some point in the future, fail.

Cheers,
Paul.