[Mgs] MGB valve cover/crankcase venting

Paul Hunt paul.hunt1 at blueyonder.co.uk
Sun Jan 13 03:41:02 MST 2008

The gulp valve is used with the air pump to reduce back-firing on the
overrun.  No air pump - no gulp valve.  Other than that the ventilation
arrangements should be the same as before, unless you have removed the
canister and other plumbing as well, in which case the suction side stays as
before (PCV valve up to Oct 68, carb suction thereafter) and the inlet side
uses either a vented oil filler cap and a sealed rocker cover vent, or the
original oil filler cap and a filtered rocker cover vent.  having open pipes
dangling down beside the engine goes back to the non-positive ventilation
used before Feb64, which can result in dust and moisture being sucked into
the crankcase, and condensation and corrosion.  If the engine and breather
system are working properly there won't be any oily crap going into the
engine.