[Mgs] Overdrive Noise/Shifting Problem

Richard Ewald richard.ewald at gmail.com
Fri Jan 11 14:16:56 MST 2008

Transmission noises 101
Makes a noise when your foot is on the clutch, but not otherwise:  Throwout
bearing or pilot bearing/bush.  Apply light pressure to clutch pedal with
the engine running.  If the sound remains, it is the T/O.  If the sound only
shows up with the clutch pedal near the floor (fully disengaged) think pilot
bearing / bush.
Makes a noise in neutral with your foot off of the clutch: Possibly the T/O
bearing, or first motion shaft bearing, or lay shaft bearings.
To eliminate the T/O bearing get under the car while running and pull the
clutch arm back away from the engine.  If the noise remains it is not the
T/O.  See below for further fault tracing
Makes a noise in neutral, 1st, 2nd, and 3rd, but quiet in 4th:  Lay shaft
bearings.
Makes a noise in neutral and all gears: First motion shaft bearing
Makes a noise only while moving: Output shaft bearing, OD bearings, u-joint
rear axle.

Hope this helps

Rick