[Mgs] Overdrive Noise/Shifting Problem

Valda and Merl Rosenthal mvrose at charter.net
Thu Jan 10 18:49:29 MST 2008

I have an overdrive transmission on my 1980 MGB and when it is in neutral and
the engine is running it produces a "roaring" noise.  The noise appears to be
coming from the front bearing on the transmission shaft. I do not believe it
is coming from the throw out bearing because I installed a new throw out
bearing and clutch approximately 2,400 miles ago when I did a complete
restoration(towed the car home because it had not run for 14 years).  In
addition, when I down shift from 3rd to 2nd and if you do not shift just right
it scraps reverse gear. Has anybody experienced these problems?  I am in the
process of removing the engine and will go thought the transmission at this
time. Any advise would be appreciated.

Merl Rosenthal
1980 MGB