[Mgs] "B" speedometer light bulbs

Paul Hunt paul.hunt1 at blueyonder.co.uk
Thu Jan 10 05:53:09 MST 2008

One time Radio Shack 7.5w were recommended, but they are bit like a
firework - bright but short lived.  Halogen bulbs are also recommend in some
quarters, but you have to be careful with those as they run much hotter and
can cause damage, and are expensive at ten times the cost of standard bulbs.
I've used multi-element LED bulbs which are a direct replacement.  These are
noticeably brighter than the originals in the speedo and tach at least (less
so in the small gauges) and give a nicer blue-white light instead of the
yellow tungsten, about twice the price of standard bulbs.  More info at
http://www.mgb-stuff.org.uk/wn_electricsframe.htm and click on 'Lighting'
and 'Instrument Lighting'.  But before spending any money check the rheostat
(if you have one, some years have a simple on/off switch) as these can
partially fail giving a dim glow although they still dim further to off when
turned.  Info on the above link.