[Mgs] Overdrive swap

Howard gentry zymmer4 at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 9 12:12:31 MST 2008

Hi John,
     Your B probably has the wire to the O/D tranny
already in the harness..It is a purple wire in the
harness..My 1976 B had the wire, and it was already at
the transmission area. I took my 1974 O/D
transmission, installed it, and plugged in the purple
wire that was hanging there. I have that O/D
transmission here in Wv. right now..I can sell it or
the whole car to you.
Howard
1976 B-tourer
--- Bob Howard <mgbob at juno.com> wrote:

> John,
>    It's an easy swap, and certainly worth doing.
>   Mounts are the same, drive shaft is the same for
> the 'later' cars.
>   Shaft measurements are puzzling. See Paul Hunt's
> site for discussion on
> this topic.
>   Earliest MGBs used a toggle switch on the dash;
> later cars the
> windshield wiper switch did wipers and OD, and from
> 410001 the switch was
> in the shift knob.   Some say that the wiring in the
> shift knob can be
> troublesome.  You can wire it any way you like,
> though, as the ODs get
> their power through one wire from the switch.
>    By 1980 there was some sort of 3rd gear lockout
> so that OD would not
> operate in third.  Somewhere in the USA is probably
> a car that still has
> this feature. You can ignore it.
>
> Bob
>

> On Wed, 09 Jan 2008 17:58:08 +0000
> johnhed at comcast.net writes:
> > If I get my hands on an overdrive transmission to
> swap into my 80B,
> > how easy is that?  Other than having ot get the
> wiring harness and
> > new shifter, does it just swap in or are there
> different mounts,
> > drive shaft, etc?
> >
> > John Hed
> > 80 B-LE (non-OD!)
>
> http://www.team.net/archive

The Blues is the only music Original to the United States of America.