[Mgs] Rewiring the B?

Dodd, Kelvin doddk at mossmotors.com
Fri Feb 29 11:23:35 MST 2008

Derek:

Usually the only wiring that will tend to get hinky (technical term) is
that exposed to oil and heat. The alternator connectors, temp sender,
starter wiring etc. will tend to get brittle and when enough of these
bits get bad and you intend to keep the car in good shape it's time to
start looking at a harness.

I'd suggest taking a good look at the wiring before getting carried
away. A couple of hours with heat shrink tubing, a heat gun and
soldering iron can repair a heck of a lot of problems.

I'd only recomend doing a wiring harness if there was a lot of damage,
or sections of the harness were fused from a short. Or if the car were
completely stripped for a ground up restoration.

Cosmetically, once any damage is repaired I'd re wrap over the original
tape with the correct non-adhesive blue tape that Moss and others sell.
Use blue adhesive Scotch brand (not cheapo stuff) tape to secure the
ends (get this from an electrical contractor store).

The under bonnet harness in my '78 was badly rat chewed, but was able to
be repaired and re-wrapped in an afternoon.

Kelvin