[Mgs] miata question

Max Heim max_heim at sbcglobal.net
Thu Feb 21 16:43:07 MST 2008

Frankly, when I heard about this model, I immediately thought, "What a
terrible idea." It is so typical of modern carmakers that when they have a
beautifully simple & successful concept, they can't resist the urge to
clutter it up with gimmicks that make it less affordable and less reliable.
Fortunately, I believe they still offer the softtop option.

Continuing my rant, what really galls me about modern cars is the utter lack
of concern for weight (the folding hardtop being only one egregrious
example). People look at my 60s "muscle car" and say "oh, how big and
heavy", but it weighs less than the new Mini. BMW just introduced a
"1-Series" that weighs only 400lbs less than their 3-Series, which itself
weighs the same as a 70s Cadillac. New luxury cars are up in the commercial
vehicle weight class.

It's all so self-defeating -- they add power accessories and sound
deadening, which adds weight, which requires more structure for rigidity,
which adds more weight, which requires a larger engine to hit the
performance target, which adds more weight, requiring more structure and
more sound deadening, ad infinitum. I really think if they could resist the
temptation to add gimmicky features in the first place, they could stay out
of this vicious cycle. And no matter how well their luxo-sport sedan
performs now, it would perform even better if it just lost some weight (with
the added consumer benefits of lower cost and better mileage).

The manufacturers like to protest that the customers insist on all these
"features". I don't really see where the customers have any choice; since
the Japanese started this trend of loading everything on as "standard
equipment", everyone else followed suite, and now if you want, say, the 6cyl
engine, or the alloy wheels, you are stuck with thousands of dollars of
other crap as a "package". I don't mind if they offer power nose-wipers as
an extra-cost option, but just allow "a la carte" ordering and "delete
options".

OK, off the soapbox...I realize I'm not their "target demographic",
anyway...

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149