[Mgs] MGA fuel pump problem

Charles & Peggy Robinson ccrobins at ktc.com
Thu Feb 21 09:56:39 MST 2008

  Hans is right.  A battery charger is not a power supply unless it's
hooked up to a battery ( maybe a big capacitor); the battery then acts
as a regulator, depending on it's internal resistance.  Sounds funny but
that's the way of it.  The best thing to do is hook the charger to the
battery and then hook the pump up direct to the battery terminals, using
at least 18 gauge wires.

   Logically speaking, too many pumps don't work when hooked up to the
car's internal wiring.  Not likely that ALL those pumps are bad.  I
would suspect that there's some resistance in the car's wiring that's
limiting the current to the pump.  I ran into the same thing with an MGB
that had a corroded ground terminal in the boot.

   CR