[Mgs] Removing Carbon Build Up on Piston Heads

Larry Daniels ladaniels at sbcglobal.net
Mon Feb 18 18:08:05 MST 2008

----- Original Message -----
From: "Bob Howard" <mgbob at juno.com>
To: <paul.hunt1 at blueyonder.co.uk>
Cc: <mgs at autox.team.net>
Sent: Monday, February 18, 2008 5:22 PM
Subject: Re: [Mgs] Removing Carbon Build Up on Piston Heads

Paul,
   I've read in some texts,  very old ones, though, that one should place
a section of ring on top of piston before scraping, then scrape to the
ring.  It was not written, however, if that was to provide protection of
cylinder wall from the scraper, or if it was to preserve the ring of
carbon around the outer edge of the piston.
   I agree that there seems to be no reason to leave the ring of carbon,
but have read to do so in a number of sources. Perhaps it was a practice
in USA years ago.
Bob
============================

Bob, I read quite some time ago that the reason for leaving the carbon ring
is because it aids in sealing the combustion pressures from slipping down
the cylinder walls.  Somewhat like another compression ring.

Take that for what it's worth.  I question it's worth in that respect.

Larry Daniels

79 MGB LE
60 Bugeye
67 Austin A60 Pickup (Ute)

"You only need two tools: WD-40 and Duct Tape. If it
doesn't move and should, use the WD-40. If it
shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape."