[Mgs] Removing Carbon Build Up on Piston Heads

Paul Hunt paul.hunt1 at blueyonder.co.uk
Sun Feb 17 03:04:25 MST 2008

Some oven cleaners are caustic, and some caustics can attack aluminium,
which may be an issue.  I've always understood that when removing carbon
(which hasn't been necessary as part of a routine a decoke for many decades
now) it is best to leave a ring of carbon round the outer edge of the
piston.  As such that dictates an implement to remove the carbon from the
rest of the crown, of such a form and used in such a manner so as not to
'dig in' to the crown and leave rough patches.