[Mgs] Horror stories (was Piston Broke)

Marvin Match match at ece.utah.edu
Thu Feb 14 15:24:36 MST 2008

I have always contended that there can be a lot wrong with these
little cars before they'll leave you stranded. I just can't help
myself, I've got to share these two personal stories:

On my '74 1/2 B I was coming home from picking up my daughter from
gymnastics practice. I was just exiting the freeway and broke a leaf
spring, clear through all leafs while on the off-ramp. The car
slumped way down on it's left side, I'm not sure what kept it from
draging on the asphalt, maybe the lever shock and it's linkage.
Anyway I managed to drive it home, but I shudder to think what would
have happened if it had failed 5 minutes earlier at 75MPH while
passing or changing lanes.

After a new set of rear springs and a few months later, I was just
driving across town, stoplight-to-stoplight, not even going fast...
and suddenly noticed a sort of "thump" and  then continuing engine
noise and no oil pressure consistant with a bottom-end failure (this
was engine #3 so I know what a major bottom-end failure sounds and
feels like.) Nothing to do but nurse it home, about 5 miles. Crawling
under the car, I could actually tip the flywheel fore and aft with my
hand an alarming degree. Upon teardown I found the crankshaft broken
right in two diagonally at the 4th rod journal! The only thing
keeping it in alignment well enough to drive home was the #4 rod and
what was left of its bearing!

Amazing!

Marvin