[Mgs] alternator question

Paul Hunt paul.hunt1 at blueyonder.co.uk
Thu Feb 14 01:49:24 MST 2008

If the alternator light came on first and the engine died as it did so then
that implies the ignition system has lost voltage from the ignition switch.
Could be a dodgy connection in a brown to the switch, or in the white from
the switch, or inside the switch itself.  The other symptoms imply an
intermittent connection somewhere also.

It won't be the alternator itself, the engine should continue to run on the
battery alone, even though the warning light may be on.

It's going to be tricky to diagnose until it become permanent, but if you
have a timing light and have it connected when this happens if the flashes
stop while the engine is still spinning it is ignition, if it keeps flashing
until the engine stops rotating it is fuel.  Also look at the tach.  If that
drops instantly while then engine is still rotating that also says ignition,
if it only gradually drops as the engine spins down it is fuel.