[Mgs] Clutch Master cylinder problem

Valda and Merl Rosenthal mvrose at charter.net
Sun Feb 3 14:40:59 MST 2008

I replaced all hydraulic clutch components (clutch cylinder, slave cylinder,
rubber hose, etc) on my 1980 MGB about 11 months ago during a ground up
restoration.  I purchased the clutch cylinder from Apple Hydraulic who stated
I could use synthetic brake fluid since I replaced all components.  I just
checked the fluid (for no apparent reason but to see how it was doing) and
wiped a Q tip inside the reservoir and found a black looking substance on the
end of the tip and a small glob floating in the chamber.  I then drained  the
system and disassembled the slave cylinder and found the same substance on the
spring.  When I wiped the substance on my finger it stains my hand. The stain
almost looks like dissolved paint. I have a feeling the synthetic is breaking
down my rubber internals even though Apple said it would not.  The clutch
cylinder still works and pumps fluid.  Has anyone else experienced this and do
you think I have to replace the components or just flush it out with regular
brake fluid?  I also put synthetic in my completely rebuilt brake system but
have not experience any noticeable discoloration.  Any advise would be
appreciated.

Merl Rosenthal

1980 MGB