[Mgs] Moving Along....

The Roxter rocknatural at gmail.com
Thu Aug 7 13:59:33 MDT 2008

Rick Lindsay wrote:
> Hey Dan,
>
> Get the leaks in the lines fixed then lets talk about
> the leaking carb.  Many times leaks there are just
> flooding bowls.  You didn't perchance install an
> aftermarket fuel pump did you?  Many of the
> aftermarket electric pumps are too strong for our old
> carbs.  The pressure forces the float bowl valve open
> and flooding occurs.
I had this issue with the Cooper S some years ago. I had installed the aftermarket fuel pump, designated as "carb" rather that "fuel injection" pump. All would be well until I got up to speed on the motorway, then the vibration of the road and the engine would allow the pump to overpower the float chamber needle valve.

I added a fuel-pressure regulator to the system ($20) and all became well. I set it at the lowest setting and took it up to speed and there was no fuel starvation and no more flooding.

-The Roxter