[Mgs] Head gasket advice

Stuart MacMillan macgroup at comcast.net
Wed Aug 6 19:34:03 MDT 2008

Well, I pulled the head on my daughter's '70 GT, and found the blown head
gasket that I figured was the problem.  It was completely gone between 1 & 2
(where coolant entered #2), and leaking between 2 & 3 This engine only has
15k on it after a "professional" rebuild.  There is enough erosion between 1
& 2  that the head needs to be surfaced, but the block has only a small
amount of surface roughness.

Do you think I can get by with a light sanding with 200 grit on the block
and the head gasket will seal okay? I really don't want to pull this engine
to mill the block.  There is some slight corrosion in the #2 cylinder, but
200 grit smoothed it out.  It's .030 over now, and I'd probably have to
re-sleeve or junk it.

Any recommendations on head gaskets, head gasket sealants, etc. that can
seal a slightly worn block?

TIA,

Stuart