[Mgs] [Healeys] Old Gas

Bob Howard mgbob at juno.com
Wed Aug 6 14:14:32 MDT 2008

Bob,
  Perhaps a help, but by no means an answer to the problem.
  September 07 I filled my snowblower with fresh petrol with a little
Stabil.  Come April, thanks to very little snow during the winter, I
drained the tank and then ran engine dry.  It was stumbly and unhappy
when it started. I then put in some April 08 gas, started it again, and
it ran OK until carb was dry a second time.    The TD, on the other hand,
ran fine in the spring, having been filled about the same time as the
blower, and the TD did not receive any Stabil.
   Seems to me that there may be two factors involved with ageing fuel, a
loss of volatility and gumming.  If my example is representative, one
might conclude that the volatility loss did not bother the snowblower or
theTD much (87 octane being plenty for the TD's low-compression engine
anyway) and that gumming did not affect the .090 jets, but that gumming
in the tiny carb passages of the snowblower was a problem.
Bob