[Mgs] 1972 MGB Timing

Paul Hunt paul.hunt1 at blueyonder.co.uk
Mon Aug 4 09:58:32 MDT 2008

No, I'm correct.  Whilst if the timing is retarded you will get higher running
temps as more of the energy in the fuel is converted to waste heat rather than
forward motion as the piston is too far down and the gasses have already
expanded too much.  The same thing happens if you advance the timing *too
much* (as I said before).  In this case more of the energy is expended while
the piston is still moving upwards, and again becomes waste heat, as it cannot
be used to push the piston down until it has passed TDC.  This is only likely
to happen in low compression engines over any period of time, in high
compression you will get violent pinking if not detonation to (hopefully)
alert the driver to the situation.  With ideal timing you get maximum
conversion of energy to forward motion, and the least amount to wasted heat.

I don't see why you differentiate between coolant temp and exhaust temp, since
it has to come out of the combustion chamber which is surrounded by coolant an
increase in exhaust temp will also cause an increase in coolant temp.