[Mgs] Final brake caliper question

Max Heim max_heim at sbcglobal.net
Thu Sep 27 14:18:27 MDT 2007

No, I meant both sides of the car. I think you will find that all written
references to brake repair recommend replacing components on a per-axle
basis. It can be dangerous to have components with varying degrees of
effectiveness on the right and left sides. Everyone knows this goes for
replacing pads, shoes, drums and rotors, and I would certainly apply it to
wheel cylinders and calipers.

Not to mention the fact that if one caliper was sufficiently messed-up to
warrant replacement, the condition of the other is certainly questionable,
even if it has yet to manifest symptoms. Why go to the trouble of bleeding
the brakes again in a few weeks, or months? It's false economy, even if you
don't accept my contention that it's potentially dangerous.

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149

on 9/27/07 11:10 AM, joseph cianciotti at jmc987 at verizon.net wrote:

> I assume that you mean both sides of a single unit. I think that's
> the only way they sell them.
>
> Joseph
> 67 MGB Roadster
>

> On Sep 27, 2007, at 2:00 PM, mgs-request at autox.team.net wrote:
>
>> Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2007 20:16:14 -0700
>> From: Max Heim <max_heim at sbcglobal.net>
>> Subject: Re: [Mgs] Final brake caliper question
>> To: MG List <mgs at autox.team.net>
>>
>> I hope you are going to order two.
>>

>> --
>>
>> Max Heim
>> '66 MGB GHN3L76149
>> If you're near Mountain View, CA,
>> it's the primer red one with chrome wires
>>

>> on 9/26/07 6:16 PM, joseph cianciotti at jmc987 at verizon.net wrote:
>>
>>> I'm going to order a remanufactured brake caliper from Moss. (Their
>>> sale ends Friday.) Do I need to order anything else for a proper
>>> installation? Thanks in advance for your advice.
>>>
>>> Joseph
>>> 67 MGB