[Mgs] Driving, one bump, no power ....

Paul Root ptrmgb at gmail.com
Sun Sep 23 10:08:24 MDT 2007

Yeah, that makes sense.

This morning, it won't start. Just clicks. Ignition light comes on.
When I turn to starter. The brake warning
light comes on. Strange.

Even weirder, the clock and the radio are now working again.

So to me it sounds like I have a loose ground under the dash
somewhere, plus something down in the
starter/solenoid area. Plus check out the alternator and change the
belt (which I've been meaning to do,
anyway).

Paul.

On Sep 23, 2007, at 8:52 AM, Paul Hunt wrote:

> If it *was* the battery that jumped up and shorted out on the cover
> then unless it welded itself there the interruption would have been
> momentary and the engine would have restarted while still being
> spun by the forward motion of the car, as you don't seem to have
> dipped the clutch for a few moments. The alternator shouldn't have
> been damaged by a short on the output, they are internally
> protected against over-current, but who knows what spikes might
> have been generated by shorting the battery (if that is indeed what
> happened, any tell-tale weld marks on the connector or cover?) as
> they should be disconnected when welding.  If the engine didn't
> restart while it was still being spun, nor was there any power
> (warning light on?) when you turned the key to crank, that implies
> a failure of a brown connector at the solenoid, but they should be
> on studs on a 77 and very unlikely to respond to a bump.
>
> If the clock is still off that implies a problem in the purple
> circuit and should be easy to find.  If the courtesy lights and
> horn are OK then it isn't the fuse so probably just the 12v or
> ground wire to the clock dropped off.
>
> For the radio it depends where it is powered from - normally it
> would be from the accessories position of the switch, is normally
> the only thing that is, and should have its own in-line fuse.
> Again it looks like a 'one-off' unless it shares the ground with
> the clock.
>
> If the car starts and runs but the ignition warning light is on
> that implies no charge from the alt, again easy to check at the
> plug on the alt.
>
> With some power having come back it looks like the original cause
> of loss of power to the engine has been lost ... until you hit that
> bump again.
>
> PaulH.

Paul Root
ptrmgb at gmail.com