[Mgs] SU fuel pump

Dereck C derex39 at hotmail.com
Sat Sep 22 08:42:18 MDT 2007

I believe this was the actual problem, slightly gummed up.  I checked and
double checked the connections were clean and conducting.  All seemed ok.
So I sprayed some carb cleaner inside and shook it up, let it set.  Then I
tried it again.  No work.  So I did a bit of ginger prying.  No difference.
Eventually I woke it up when I inadvertantly jarred into the battery post on
the positive connection (ie upside down) and the familiar tick came back.

So I reconnected the pump and decided to see if the car would start.  Turned
the key and the pump ran fast, then slower, and eventually stopped.  Well
almost, the rear float bowl was leaking.  Stuck valve. I removed the cover
cleaned both bowls and reassembled.  Then decided to pump out the fuel line
of stale fuel.  Think the whatever is in the tank is bad.  Not surprized
been sitting for a couple of years.  So I decided to try to turn it over
again.  After a couple of tries she showed signs of running.  Eventually, I
got ignition and she fired on her own and couple of times.  Sounded and
looked like not all cylinders were firing.

Running out of time (18 old daughter is pulling on me)...so long story
short...I am getting more fuel out of the rear carb than the front.  Think
the float is set too high...floods the carb.  Will get back with more
details as they progress.

Thanks for all the replies.

Dereck
70 B
88 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500 (another twin carb machine)
http://www.vroc.org/view_profile.php?user_id=19900