[Mgs] SU fuel pump

Paul Hunt paul.hunt1 at blueyonder.co.uk
Fri Sep 21 02:06:17 MDT 2007

It won't be the capacitor.  If that goes open circuit the pump will still
run but the points spark badly.  If it goes short-circuit it will burn up
the wires.  It sounds like you still have an open circuit.  With 12v and
ground connected to the pump terminals, use a voltmeter with the -ve
terminal connected to the ground to test both sides of the points for 12v.
If you get it one side and not the other the points are not closed,
maybe your sanding has disturbed the setting, or left debris between them.
If it was working before this is the most likely cause, that and corrosion
on the two spade terminals.
If you get 12v both sides of the points check the braided wire where the
points connect to one side of the winding, and the other side of the winding
where it connects to the body, there are three terminal tags involved.