[Mgs] Rebuilding a brake caliper

David Ambrose stargazer1 at cox.net
Thu Sep 20 17:12:30 MDT 2007

joseph cianciotti wrote:

>Okay, so I have to rebuild it or have it rebuilt. How complicated a
>job is it to do yourself? Is there a place where I can get step-by-
>step directions? And what about parts? Other than changing the pads,
>I've never done anything like this. Thanks for pointing me in the
>right direction.

I've done these rebuilds several times. They can be tricky, but I don't
think it's beyond the reach of a good home mechanic.

Remove one piston at a time with air pressure. A C-clamp will hold the
opposing piston in place. There are two seals and a dust cover. The
inner seal comes right out with a sharp, pointy tool. The outer seal can
be pried out with a largish screw driver. Wedge it under the metal part
and turn; working around the cylinder. You have to bring the seal out
evenly. If you get it cocked, it will be a royal bear to remove (use the
method below to reseat it and start over).

Installing it without damage is the hard part. Gently clean the sealing
surface with a brass wire brush. Corrosion will make it difficult to
install the seals. You need to get the new outer seal started, then seat
it square into the cylinder. I made sure the seal was started and
square, then used a C-clamp and a piece of hardwood to press it into
place. I see Moss has a $30 tool specifically for this job. I haven't
tried one, but it sounds great if it works well.

You might want to order an extra seal set.

Cheers,
Dave Ambrose