[Mgs] [Fwd: Re: Alternator, Bosch conversion for 71 MGB GT]

Phil Bates jello at ida.net
Mon Sep 10 16:48:32 MDT 2007

Although it is really geared to MGA's,  you should read Barney Gaylord's
website on upgrading electrical systems to alternators for lights, etc.
See http://www.mgaguru.com/mgtech/electric/electr_2.htm  Chances are your
wiring isn't reallyup to the H-4's, but since it is a B, it may be stout
enough.

As far as looking at a bosch or delco - you could go with either - but
there is a 43 amp Lucas, which is plenty of power, and will require the
fewest modifications.

Phil Bates
'58 MGA with a Lucas Alternator and incandescent sealed beam lights
'67 MGB with a Lucas Alternator and halogen lights

> As a follow-up to my earlier e-mail on the Ignition light in my 71 MGB
GT, if I need to rebuild my Lucas alternator, should I consider
> converting to a Bosch alternator with higher amp rating?
> Any experience, recommendations with this conversion?
> I plan to upgrade the headlights to H4 bulbs, I already have a modern
more powerful radio, and do have the optional electric rear window
defogger. The extra amps may be useful, especially on a dark, rainy,
cold day in Canada!